Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Destin Trip 2012

Well it's back to reality for the us! We had a BLAST this time in Destin. The weather was beautiful (until the day before we left-terrential downpour) and not too hot/not too cold. There were jellyfish in the water but the water was still a little too cool to enjoy so that was ok.

We headed down there Tuesday night (17th) after work. Decided we wanted to try to make it to Vicksburg (kind of half way) before stopping for the night, and we were successful in doing that and finally made it by 1:30am.

Wednesday morning, we got up at 9 and made it to the resort by about 4:30, which gave us just enough time to go shopping and eat dinner. Every night we stay down there we always go for night walks on the beach, it's my most favorite part of our time there. We take flashlights and just walk and enjoy the sounds of the crashing water. love.it.

Thursday, Adam had to drive to Holt for work (which is the whole reason why we got to go down there in the first place) it is about an hour from our resort. I slept late and when I got up I decided to spend some time in the word on our balcony overlooking a place that has God's fingerprints all over it. Then I walked down to the beach to walk and collect shells. I grabbed lunch at a tiki bar that is right by the beach and took it back up to the room to eat. Crashed for a nap (lol it was a lazy day ok?) and when I woke up Adam had made it back to the room and was ready to go back down to the water. So we walked some more and picked up more shells, I found the prettiest shell I have EVER found in the water which you'll see below. I just love looking at it. I don't know why the shells you pick up on your own are so much more special than the ones you can buy in the store...
That night we went to Flemings (another amazing steakhouse) for dinner and headed back for our night walk.

Friday, we added a new adventure to our list of things we've done! Deep sea fishing! It was SO MUCH FUN!!!! We got on this big party boat with about 25 other people and went 22 miles out into the ocean. We were out there from 8am-3pm that day. They would take us to a spot with lots of fish and tell us to drop our line and tell us exactly how many times to turn our reel so that we could get our bait right in the middle of the fish. If there weren't any biting in that spot then they would move us to a new spot. One thing I was not expecting out of this trip were all the dolphins we saw! They were right next to our boat! They were only interested in one thing and it wasn't us, it was the FISH! We could see them under the water watching our hooks and when we would get a fish they would snatch them right off our line and swim away to eat them!! We probably saw about 15-20 of them all around the boat, it was my absolute favorite part of the fishing trip. I only regret not getting ANY pictures of them! I had smelly fish bait on my hands and didn't want to get my camera nasty. At the very last drop of our lines a guy right down from me caught a shark on his line! The deck hands let him fight with it for about an hour and then they finally cut his line. I could not have imagined how exhausted I would be after all that. I caught 4 fish but was only able to keep 2 of them due to size regulations and species, Adam caught a bunch I don't remember how many he got to bring home. [We enjoyed our fish last night with his parents it was yummy =) ]
That night we went to another one of our favorites "The Melting Pot". We started a tradition of going there when we went on our honeymoon. So every time we go back we eat there at least once, and always in the same booth. We were too tired for our night walk that night and went to bed early.

Saturday, we slept late and woke up to big rain clouds and sheets of rain, so we went back to the covered strip mall, ate some lunch, then went to see a movie. After that it was still raining so we went back to the room for a bit and lounged before dinner one last time. 

Woke up at 5 Sunday morning and drove until we made it home at 6:30. =)

It was a great trip and a much needed break from reality for both of us. We enjoyed every second of it.

Here are all the pictures....


























Back home....looking at my beautiful shell =)

2 comments:

Beaubecky said...

How fun! The fishing trip sounds like that would have been fun! You made me want some dippindots!

Katie said...

Looks like such a fun trip!!