Monday, December 27, 2010

Family Time

Has it already come and gone already? Christmas always goes by so fast!
This year I have had a sinus infection (I guess that's what it is) for the entire thing. =( But that didn't keep me from enjoying time spent with my family. We did the same fun things we do every year. With one new little edition (Jaxon!) it was SO fun to have the little guy around for all the festivities. That baby smiles all the time and he doesn't even need a reason! Needless to say my "itch" just seems to grow these days, rather than getting my fill after a couple hours with a little one. But I am looking forward to the new year and all that the Lord has in store for Adam and I. Speaking of Adam, he bought me a porch swing this year for Christmas! =) Sweetest gift he's ever bought me.
 We have a creek that runs beside our house. Most days it's dry but in the spring when we get a good rain I love to sit out on the porch and listen to the rushing water. I can see that there will be a lot of time spent this next year "justa swingin".
I didn't take a single picture of us Christmas morning opening presents. This year I got Adam a pair of his favorite white label Cinch jeans, a new wallet with a long horn on the front, a Case knife he wanted, and a really nice Cinch pullover. I think he was thoroughly happy with those 4 things. It was a small Christmas this year for us. Money has been tight with my blazer acting up. But it was a wonderful year in remembering why we celebrate Christmas at all. It's not about the gifts we give to each other, but the gift Jesus gave to us by coming to this earth as a human. Living life just like we do, and going through trials and tribulations like the rest of us do every day. I love that my Jesus did that for me and he did it perfectly. There are days that I wake up and wonder how I did absolutely nothing to deserve the unconditional love he gives me, and yet he still gives it to me without ceasing. 

I don't like to talk about things I do for others but I want to put this down because I don't want to forget.

Earlier this month I was headed to a baby shower for a friend that I grew up with. I needed to stop at Walgreen's to pick out a card. While I was waiting in line to check out, there was a little girl in front of me. She was no more than 5 years old. She was with her mother, baby brother and her grandmother. I remember they had a bunch of coupons and were buying a couple of cans of mushrooms and some little $.99 Christmas angel/jingle bell decorations. She was telling the cashier how she wanted to buy them to make the house feel more festive for the holidays. The little girl grabbed a package of M&M's off the shelf and asked her mom if she could have them. Her mom said "we don't have the money for those right now sweetie" and the little girl said "I do!" and reached in her pocket. When she found nothing she said "never mind" and quietly put the M&M's back on the shelf. That in itself made an impression, because I know when I was that small and didn't get candy at the checkout line I threw a fit! But not her, she was quiet and polite and didn't make another peep about it. She was so tiny and had the biggest brown eyes and chubby little cheeks. She was precious and my heart broke. Here I was spending $5 on a card and $3 on a bow that I was too lazy to make myself. It was my turn to check out as the little girl and her family started toward the car and my heart started to pound out of my chest. I knew that the Lord was telling me to buy those M&M's for that little girl, but I was scared. I didn't want to offend her mother or grandmother. When I knew I would regret it for the rest of my life if I left without doing anything. I grabbed the bag of M&M's and told the cashier to add it to my basket and ran out the door afraid I had already missed them. I left my purse and everything at the counter with a lengthy line of customer's waiting to check out behind me.
They were still loading up when I made it to the parking lot and the little girl was standing by the basket watching me walk toward her. I said "did you want some M&M's sweet girl?" and she nodded with her eyes as wide as they could be. Her grandmother turned to me with a big smile and said "thank you SO much" with a laugh I told her "every girl needs a little chocolate every now and then". She smiled and said "Merry Christmas".
I could barely hold in my tears as I finished paying and collecting my stuff. I apologized to the gentleman behind me for making him wait so long. He said "I can wait all day for something like that".
That's when I realized, not only did the Lord use me in that little girl's life that day. But how he also used me in the lives of the people that were around me to see what happened. Not only did He use me to bless someone else,  He blessed ME with that little girl! 
"It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35
That is SO true!
I cried and thanked Him for giving me the courage to step up and be bold to do what He wanted me to do, all the way to the shower that day.
I pray that He will give me the courage to be bold in every opportunity He gives me, Just like that day.
God is good all the time. (even in Walgreen's at 11:30 on a Saturday afternoon.)

Just a couple of pictures from Christmas with family:
Kendal, Me, Tyler
(notice we all have the same cheeks and nose? lol)


The man we all look like...my sweet daddy

5 comments:

Beaubecky said...

That is an awesome story Jessica!

Tonia Hobbs said...

You are so precious. Your story ads to my conviction I have been feeling about the prompting of the Holy Spirit that I ignored the other day. I was talking to a lady about some problems she was having and I felt like I should pray with her right then and there. . . but I didnt. I was, and still am, so upset with myself. I have prayed for this lady everyday since, but that doesnt make me feel any better about my missed opportunity.
You were obedient. You listened. And obeyed. I believe of all the emotions and feelings we can have, feeling blessed by blessing another (not to mention being pleasing & obedient to Christ) is the best feeling on this earth. Keep up the good work sister. Holiness comes from obedience.

Tonia Hobbs said...

Oh yes, I did confess about being so lousy. . .

meeksmiles33 said...

What a great example you are. Your story made me cry. I am thankful to have a friend like you Jessica!!

Jessica S. said...

Thank you for the encouragement Tonia. There have been many times I wasn't obedient in situations like that but after that happening it will be much harder for me to ignore what the Lord is asking me to do next time. Your not alone in letting something like that pass you by! Lol- and you are NOT lousy! Just HUMAN! =)

Shaina-I am thankful to have a friend like YOU!