*warning. this is a play-by-play re-telling of my weekend. if play-by-play details get on your nerves, don't read. =)
OK, well I knew that my weekend was going to a busy one but I didn't think it was going to be that busy.
I.Am.Glad.It's.Over.
Friday night (like I mentioned in my previous post) we had dinner with my daddy for his birthday, after I got finished with my riding lessons.
Then Saturday morning I was up and at-em early for Easter rehearsal at the PAC. I had an extra hour and half before the wedding I was going to, so I went to my aunts house to eat lunch.
After a shish-ka-bob I went to the wedding. It was the sweetest wedding I have ever been to! I just love the bride, she is a sweet friend of mine and I could not be happier for her!
Here are some shots I got of the new sweet family!
They had the prettiest/coolest cakes!!!
Each of the kiddos had their own cake to enjoy.
They were so good about making them feel like it was their special day too.
That night we went to Suzie and Gary's for dinner with Nick since he was home for the holiday. (have to brag for a second) We enjoy time with him so much. He is such an awesome young man, that seeks the Lords will in everything that he does. I am so proud of who he is and Adam and I are praying for his future spouse everyday! I know the Lord has someone SO special for him (we just haven't found her yet).
Sunday morning we went to service and celebrated Easter through song and a great skit about Jesus' resurrection. Afterwards we went to G-ma Glenda and G-pa Jack's for Easter lunch and enjoyed some time with them for a couple of hours. After that we went home for Adam's nap time (ha) and I picked up some things around the house.
This is where things go coo-coo for cocoa puffs.....
We wanted to eat dinner with some of our friends so we drove into town and met them at their house. NOT knowing that there were TORNADO watches/warnings all around us. I even looked at Adam on our way to their house and said "is that a wall cloud?" and he said "nah, I don't think so"
DING.DONG.
So we decide on Cheddar's for dinner, once we get there the rain just starts to dump on the place like water from a bucket. But of course we enjoyed ourselves and had a great time through dinner as usual.
We headed home and decided to take a back road.
I am driving
(of course, bad things always happen when I drive).
Water is e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. and rain is hitting the windshield (yet I continue to go 45+ miles per hour, like a goober) then all of a sudden we hit D.E.E.P. rushing water. I seriously thought we hit a tree. I still can't believe I didn't hit the steering wheel, that's how hard we hit the water.
My steering wheel AND breaks locked up on me.
We finally got through it and as I asked Adam "did I hurt the car?" I watched the gas gauge go from half a tank to EMPTY in about 2 seconds.
Then my gas pedal quit accelerating and the blazer was filled with the smell of gasoline.
poo.
This is the part of the story when my husband turns into Superman.
I was like "what do we do now?" we were sitting in the middle of the road. He was like "I'm going to have to get it out of the road first".
OK, he was wearing shorts a t-shirt and flip-flops. (the one and only time he has worn flip flops this year and this happens.) Oh, and don't forget it's still POURING rain.
He pushes the blazer maybe a little under a 10th of a mile with no shoes on. I hit the brakes so he could get in for a second. His feet were hurting him because he was pushing with no shoes on and he looked like he had jumped in a pool! We were still in the road so he had to get back out and keep pushing. This time he had to push us up a hill!
Did I mention he turned into Superman for just a few minutes? (sigh* be still my heart ha-ha)
We finally go it into a good spot and realized I didn't have a flashlight, so he couldn't even look underneath to see if it could be fixed. I felt like such a loser.
So we called his dad, he and Suzie were already heading our way for dinner so they took a detour to rescue us. They had a flashlight and were able to get underneath to look at the damage. Thank goodness it only looked like a cut gas line, but since it was cut and not just disconnected Adam couldn't fix it. We will find out today or tomorrow if that was truly the only damage. I called the tow truck (might I add-the SAME tow truck that has towed me in almost ALL of my accidents. How sad.)
Before we loaded up in the truck I had Adam strip down to his undies so he could wrap in a towel and ACTUALLY get warm. ha-ha that makes me laugh. I
had still managed to stay dry for the most part.
So we are trucking along feeling sorry for ourselves but thinking that we were on the downhill slope to our warm dry home when we pull into the driveway to see our house "floating on a pond". The water was SO high we couldn't even see the lawn! The creek beside us had overflowed and was rushing but the water was still everywhere.
So I hit the garage door opener. nothing. I hit it again and again and again. nothing.
Great. It is raining cats and dogs, my DOGS are practically swimming in the yard waiting for the garage to open so I put it in park and run/swim through shin deep water-into the house through the front door (trying to be superwoman for my cold wet husband), and manually open the garage door.
The dogs are totally freaking out so I go back into the house and strip MY clothes off (i was wearing a long sundress and flip flops that had then transformed into a mop and useless contraptions on my feet that I was struggling to keep on.), run back outside and DRAG -literally- the 50 lb lab (that thinks she can just float for the night ) into the dry garage. As I'm pulling the door closed she freaks out and runs back out into the water! Seriously? So I have to go catch her again and finally got her inside.
I slammed the door closed and threw myself a little pitty party.
I still can't believe I didn't cry, but seriously I think I was just too exhausted.
I smelled of gasoline and wet dog, but was too tired to get in the shower (grose I know) so I climbed in bed at 11:30.
I'm not sure I want to have another evening like that ever again in my life. But it happened, all the same and today after I received this little bright spot:
I can laugh about it and be thankful that:
#1 no one was hurt in our little "accident"
#2 I have a husband that loves me enough to push me to safety in the pouring rain
#3 we have the money to have it fixed
#4 we have great family that will go any distance to "rescue us"
#5 the water did not flood our house =)
Life is good, and there is a lesson to be learned in every situation.
Lessons learned this time:
a.) Don't go so fast when it's raining so hard I can't even see out the windshield
b.) keep a pair of tennis shoes for both me and my hubby in the car at all times
c.) ALWAYS have a flashlight, a towel, and quite possibly a change of clothes
Small lessons? Yes. But those are some things that would've made our situation a lot LESS complicated.
And I feel gratitude to the Lord still yet, for the little catastrophe that brought me and my husband closer together. Isn't that funny how that works sometimes?


























No comments:
Post a Comment