I decided not to do a "Wordless Wednesday" today. Instead I wanted to write about a special man in mine and Adam's lives...Grandpa Bob.
On Tuesday night's Gary, Adam and I have been spending our evening with Grandpa Bob and his wife Shirley. When I get out of Weight Watcher's we all meet somewhere for dinner, which here lately has been the local diner in town. (it's not my favorite, but they always know our drink order so I think that's why they like to go haha)
Suzie goes to a juvenile detention center on Tuesday nights for a bible study or she would join us too. Bob is Gary's dad and Shirley is his step-mother. Grandma Carol died of cancer when Adam and Nick were pretty young. She is thought of often and missed greatly, but the Lord knew what he was doing when he sent Shirley.
She has been a lifesaver for Bob. She takes such good care of him and is his constant companion.
When Adam and I first started dating, Bob had a stroke that changed his life forever. Adam has always seen his Grandpa as a big, strong, God fearing man and that will never change. But since his stroke his speech has been affected, he doesn't get around as well, and has to use a cane. He has lost a lot of the use of his arm, which all together just makes him so much more vulnerable.
Adam is VERY much like his grandpa. He's ornery and thinks he's 10 feet tall and bullet "resistant" lol.
I know it really upsets him that his grandpa had the stroke all together. But as we spend our traditional Tuesday night with him there is always a sadness knowing he won't always be around.
I didn't really understand how important those Tuesday night dinner's were until Gary went out of town and Adam made sure they still met us at the normal time for dinner. A part of me always thought we did that because Gary set it all up every week and it was something he did to spend time with his dad. I guess I assumed since Gary was gone we wouldn't meet with them.
But the week he was gone and it was just us four without Gary, I realized how important it is to Adam as well. Don't get me wrong it's important to me to! When I talk to him it's like talking to my husband 50 year's from now. He's funny, handsome, he loves Jesus, and he's a wonderful grandfather. (he's also sarcastic, speaks his mind, and is a pain the butt! haha see? perfect description of Adam!)
So, like Adam said a few days ago, "It will be a sad day when Bob S. isn't here on this earth anymore."
But until then we can love on him and spend time with him whenever we can, and cherish every minute of it. We love you Grandpa Bob!
"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."
Isaiah 46:4



















No comments:
Post a Comment